It’s tempting to ride a motorcycle without safety gear when it’s hot. Mesh jackets are lightweight and breathable to keep your body cool. Mesh jackets do not offer the most protection during a slide, but they are perfect for riding in warm weather.
Here are some features to look for when shopping for a mesh motorcycle jacket:
1. Safety and Protection – some jackets provide removable CE-Certified and PE foam approved armor in the back, chest, shoulders and elbows to protect during an impact on pavement. It’s important to dress for the ride and slide!
2. Comfort – the armor may not work on impact if the jacket does not fit properly to protect you. Make sure the armor does not move around when you try the jacket on for size. The zippers, snaps and straps should prevent the fabric from flapping around in the wind.
3. Visibility reflectors for others to see you riding in the dark.
4. Windproof and Waterproof Full Sleeve Removable Liner – the windproof/waterproof liner is for light rain. Remember to always carry rain gear even in the summer!
5. Pockets for easy access to the items you need such as keys, debit/credit cards, cash, drivers license and registration.
I’m wearing the Indian Motorcycle Springfield Mesh Jacket, made of polyester with perforation to allow air to flow through the front and back. Velcro straps on the sleeves to reduce flapping in the wind on my arms. The CE rated armor on the elbows and shoulders are easy to remove before washing in mild detergent. The expansion panels on the shoulders provides a comfortable ride for any style of handlebars. The reflective stripes light up at night for visibility to allow other motorcycle riders and drivers to see you riding on the road. The two-way zipper option from top or bottom allows for a flayer at the bottom to provide comfort and relief after a ride to eat!